Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Continuing Trend

My fabric design contest entry (mentioned a few weeks back) reached a new low in the number of votes received: 26. Total. From this I have learned that pirates are popular, and the theme of the contest is irrelevant. (Although supposedly they do attempt to filter off some of the really off topic entries.) Also, maybe this time I will actually learn not to bother entering any more of Spoonflower's contests.

In other, more positive news, I have been working on a charting app. I finally got frustrated enough with my current charting process to make something better. My process before for posting charts: Google Docs Spreadsheet → app script I wrote → LaTex → pdf (using pdflatex) → clip/paste into GIMP → get a png → upload to Picasa → link to from blog post. New process for posting charts: my web app → svg and symbol key → include svg in blog post. Unfortunately, inline svg images are not supported in IE and older browsers. I can also do: my web app → LaTex → pdf, easily enough; getting an image to link to from the blog post is the annoying part.

So I am thinking of only posting the svg versions on this blog, but eventually making collections of the charts available in pdf form. My plan is to start with the "Fish Napkin Patterns" in Lambert's book, My Knitting Book, vol. 2.

I have a long list of uncompleted projects, however, so swatching the patterns may take awhile. In the meantime here is the Double Rose Leaf Pattern - Revised (originally mentioned in this early post and also mentioned in my last post). If you can't see the chart or the symbols leave a comment letting me know what browser (and if possible what version number) you are using. The web app isn't quite ready yet, but I will announce when it is available.

Double Rose Leaf Pattern
Stitch Background Rectange n Centered double decrease Knit 3 together. Slip, slip, slip, knit 3 together. Knit 2 together Slip, slip, knit. Yarn over. Purl 1 Knit 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
SymbolOn Odd RowsOn Even Rows
Stitch Background Rectange n Centered double decrease Centered double decrease.Centered double decrease, purlwise.
Stitch Background Rectange n Knit 3 together. Knit 3 together.Left slanting double decrease, purlwise.
Stitch Background Rectange n Slip, slip, slip, knit 3 together. Left slanting double decrease.Purl 3 together.
Stitch Background Rectange n Knit 2 together Knit 2 together.Slip, slip, return, purl 2 tog.
Stitch Background Rectange n Slip, slip, knit. Slip, slip, return, knit 2 tog tbl.Purl 2 together.
Stitch Background Rectange n Yarn over. Yarn overYarn over
Stitch Background Rectange n Purl 1 PurlKnit
Stitch Background Rectange n Knit 1 KnitPurl

No comments:

Post a Comment