Monday, November 22, 2010

Jackson's Practical Companion

I was thinking of making a baby bonnet for my future niece, but I was unimpressed with the selection of baby bonnets I found on Ravelry so I decided to browse through the victorian era public domain books on Google. Well, I didn't find much in the way of baby bonnets (so far), but I found a number of edging patterns that looked interesting.

So I've started to chart and knit a few of them. Almost all the patterns I looked at are written out as garter stitch lace, but I've charted them out as both garter stitch and stockinette stitch. Thus, the following charts show the front of the lace. For the most part, the charts use the JIS symbols (a list and visual instructions of how to knit the stitches can be found at this helpful site, and more general information on Japanese knitting symbols can be found here), but the following key can also be used (in the following, SSK is used instead of SKPsso).

I started with the pointed lace pattern, on page 102 of The Practical Companion to the Work Table by Elizabeth Jackson:

I usually prefer a stockinette stitch look, rather than a garter stitch look, so I changed that first. Then, I also fiddled with the orientation of the decreases for a bit. Here is my modified version:

I knit my modified version up in size 10 thread (Aunt Lydia's bamboo crochet thread), using US size 000, 00, 0, and 1 needles. The two swatches are pinned out to block them:

For the top swatch I used size 1, 0, and 00 needles (left to right in the image below), and the bottom swatch was knit with the 000 needles.

Here is the 000 needle swatch up close:

In the other swatch the left 3 points were knit with the size 1 needles, the middle 3 points with the size 0 needles, and the last two points on the right with the 00 needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment